Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pokemon Reviews, first full post! This is for Red and Blue.


Time for a full review of all of the Pokemon games I have played, along with a link to another review that I think does justice to each game. I will do each review as a separate post.
I will probably be repeating stuff I may have mentioned in my past posts but since I’m pretty sure nobody reads this blog, it doesn’t matter!
YAY!!! ^_^ Btw all images were found using Google image search, none of them are mine unless I say so directly.

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green

I really enjoyed it but I found it quite hard to complete. I played all of them some time after their release, and Green was hard to track down, let me tell you! These two reviews mention all of the salient points but since I played it so long ago, I can’t tell you if they are 100% accurate.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/924467-pokemon-green/reviews/review-114422

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/924467-pokemon-green/reviews/review-102474

Anyway, I liked Blue best because you get Meowth. I love Pay Day…as a move and in real life… pay day is so wonderful… shopping… Anyway if I remember correctly you also get Vulpix in Blue and I love it. But I also love Growlithe so I guess it’s irrelevant. By the way usually when I say I love a Pokemon, it means I approve of its appearance. Just to clear that up. I am shallow. I admit it, I dislike a lot of Pokemon based on their appearance. The only time I can put that aside is in terms of starters.
Ahem.


So.
Gameplay/Strategy: I found it to be very hard. Some people say casually, ‘Yeah, 40 hours of gameplay.’, or ‘Takes about a week.’ But for me it takes about two weeks to complete a game. Or several months. Or more than a year… in the case of Diamond. Argh! I am an incompetent gamer but I still love it and I can’t give it up.
I just really hate level grinding because it is a joyless slog. Some level grinding in games is more fun like in FFVIII where you can travel around more and the monsters are much more varied and challenging (this is my opinion btw). But with Pokemon R/B/G it was not so good, so in the end, I think I beat all the gyms but I don’t know if I ever beat the Elite Four…hang on, Iremember fighting the Team Rocket Leader at the last gym… no that’s all. Yeah, probablydidn’t ever finish. But that is because I hate using potions etc and taking my time. I like to jump in and defeat people with a single blow and then be finished.

Fave In-Game Trade/s: Who remembers the Farfetch'd? Dux, right? So coooollll. Too bad they became common in later games. They are weak anyway. But man, it was so fun to trade with NPCs in the first game, because I knew nobody around me would have Pokemon so I wouldn't be able to trade with them. So I liked that one, but the rest of them were not good trades in terms of valuable Pokemon. I mean if you wanted to fill your Dex, I think some of them were good for that but in terms of what I would deem a ''good' trade (e.g; one that benefits me), nah. The others kinda sucked.

Graphics: Sucked, even for the times. But still just good enough to recognize what stuff was. It ain’t no Zelda or Seiken Densetsu. But hey. I liked being able to recognize the Pokemon despite the bad pixelations. No colour or only like one colour, if I remember rightly.

Battles: Not bad. Turn based, as it always has been. I liked building my team carefully (even though I often did it wrong). I chose Squirtle as my starter, I think. I chose Charmander when I started the game again, haha.

Music: So catchy…nostalgia… thank you for GB Sounds, GameFreak… I love it. Still. And helped set the tone just right! Iconic music…

Sounds: Not the best. Pikachu sounded awful, always. I was shocked each time… no pun meant there sorry. Pikachu still sounds terrible even in Pokemon Black (I guess they couldn’t change its voice now)! Some of the sounds were not too bad in the higher pitch like Clefairy and Jigglypuff.

Fave Pokemon in R/B/G?
Meowth for usefulness (money, money, money…) and then probably…Well, this may sound strange (I was going to say odd) but I like Oddish’s design.
For battling, my fave in these games would be Charmander and its evolutions. I don’t know why. Probably because I like Fire Pokemon in general. It’s not that Charmander is better. In fact I think I like Bulbasaur and Squirtle as much as I like Charmander, but I always seem toleantoward Fire types. Maybe it just feels stronger…which is silly because Bulbasaur is surely a better choice to start with against Misty and Brock. Oh I don’t know why. But yeah, Charmander.



Pokemon I didn’t like much: Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. Also Drowzee and Hypno. I don't really know why, they are just creepy or ugly or boring. Or all of the above. That's my taste, I guess.

Rating: ***** out of 5. Because I loved it, I still love it and it was amazing. It can still be enjoyed more than 10 years later. The same can not be said of most other games. RPGs rule for that reason. I try not to get rid of any of my games (because they are costly), so I buy only ones that I know I will most likely want to keep. And I plan on buying Blue online one day. When I get the money. Because atm it is ‘retro’ and so expensive… Extortion!

Pokemon Yellow I have also played and I really liked the beginning but after a while I got bored. So no separate review for Yellow. I enjoyed having Pikachu follow me and talking to(him?). It was made to be more like the anime. Oh, one thing, it was for the GBColor so it had more colour…yes I am Captain Obvious. Enough said.
Read this review below if you like. Oh, I did like the opening tune when Pikachu is running towards you. That was very cute and catchy. Do do do do do do do do do, dee dee dee dee dee dee etc. You know what I mean!

http://www.gamespot.com/gameboy/rpg/pokemonyellow/review.html

My R/B team (if I remember):
Charmander/Squirtle and evolved forms
Pidgeot
Meowth/Persian
Ninetales (when I used Charmander I realized that I should have gotten Squirtle again, so I had to use a Poliwag, dang it)
Weepinbell (never bothered with it much to evolve it…)
Pikachu/Raichu
I think this is correct but I can hardly remember. I know I spent a long time in the forest looking for Pikachu because it was hard to get. But I was determined.
And later I got Eevee but I don’t know if I used it much. I think that is basically my team. I miss those days. Much less choice so you could win by working harder. Even though I hate working harder…
Btw it's a massive pain to have to drag all these sprites to the right places in the editor so I will veto on the sprites for now.

No comments: