Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pokemon Black and White Review, which is number 6.



Pokemon Black and White

Firstly, I know I reviewed Black kinda already but I wanted to be more thorough. So I did this. Ok. Cool, continue.

I have Black. I am glad I chose it. For various reasons which are purely aesthetic. Ahem. This is the first time I have used my titled beast in my actual serious team after catching it. I had my dear Groudon in Ruby, and I kind of tried to use it but in the end I didn’t bother with it much.

All the other games, I would catch the big beasties and then leave them in my box titled ‘Legends’. And never use them. I kind of treated them like trophies.

Well Reshirom is AWESOME. I want to brush its furand be able to fly around the world on its back. But I can’t… so sad. L It is so useful to me in battle. Love it.

Gameplay/Strategy: Overall good. Liked the plot, it was surprisingly different enough from the usual to be interesting, but still similar enough not to be too off-putting. Good one, Game Freak. I really liked how they brought back Dive. I missed it and I was so pleased to be able to dive underwater again.

One thing: Disliked the map and the towns for the most part. I kept waiting for a proper department store and it never came. Dept. Store 9 doesn’t count. I liked the towns that you got after you beat Team Plasma though.

Enjoyed all the extra battles you can do over and over in the stadiums in Nimbasa. This stopped the tedium of level grinding, although the return of the older Pokemon in the wild once you beat Team Plasma is great and takes a lot of the monotony out of wild battles. Loved the return of the older gen Pokemon, very cool.

Was it too easy? Maybe. But I love easy. Easy is my friend. I only feel one thing: it was over so fast… I want to keep fighting Team Plasma but they are all gone… I actually miss them.

Fave Pokemon: Looks: Minccino. It captured my heart. I love its tail. Then Victini. Truth be told, most of the designs for this game were awful, I’m sorry but they were. Yes, I am talking about that one, and that one and yes, especially that one. A giant ice cream cone. Really, guys? Now, for battling preferences: Victini… but not to count event Pokemon, hmm…Reshiram and not to count legends… Durant, and my Samurott.

And you guessed it, I didn’t think much of the roaming legend thing that caused storms, or the three legendary lion things. Not interesting, but still better designed than some of the main Pokemon.

Sound: Very good, but I think there is only one annoying thing. Sounds are louder than the music itself. So if I turned it up to hear the music, the sounds became too loud, like doors opening etc. Other than that, excellent sound.

Music: Liked it but although there were a couple of tracks I liked especially, mostly what delighted me was the extras. Like the people who play music in different towns when you speak to them. And how the music can change according to season slightly. And how it changes in certain places when you walk or run. Wonderful!

I will be honest, music for Pokemon can never be what it was for me in the first 3 generations. After Ruby, it’s hard to please me. In fact, perhaps even after G/S/C it is hard to please anyone properly. None of the new music has nostalgia attached to it for us. But having said that, the B/W music was good. I liked Undella Town quite a bit and the music for when you travel from Route …3(?) was my fave of all. And the Team Plasma battle theme, oddly enough.

Graphics: Wonderful of course but I am not sure I felt the 3D thing was actually necessary. They mostly showed off their graphics with the Ferris wheel and all of those bridges… Yes, I mentioned the bridges. Someone decided bridges were the theme for this game. Oh well, at least the caves were less annoying this time. Pokemon designs were not so good, but never mind that, we all know about that.

Pokemon I didn’t like much (or at all): Besides the big ice-cream cone (and it's ridiculous evolved form)... which I refuse to even mention by name, I would have to say it's a contest between Tornadus and Thundurus and Patrat and co, Woobat and co, and Timburr and co. Admittedly Timburr is ok, but it's two evolved forms are awful! They look like a muppet crossed with an ugly man... oh so let-down by the designers this time around. Please make another game and show us that you can redeem yourselves. By the way, most of these aforementioned Pokemon are most likely good in battle (but also most likely not great), but I am talking about their looks only.

Fave In-Game Trade/s: Petilil for a Cottonee, very cool. Ok not really, but useful to fill the Dex. The Red Basculin was useless, but how was I to know at that point… Anyway I guess that is all. I did use the Petilil at first, but then I stopped because I built up my team and didn’t really need it. But it is useful at that stage in the game, as is the elemental monkey Pokemon you get at the first gym in the Dreamyard. It isn’t a trade, I think it’s a gift, but it counts, because I used it to beat the gym leader and wow, thanks Game Freak. I guess it was to make things easier for new players. Well, I unashamedly accept all handouts! Thanks again for my (fire) monkey, Game Freak. Yeah, I chose Oshawott. And I know you can catch all three diff monkeys in the forest after that town but still, that particular monkey is a heck of a useful gift. Ok, I will stop talking about it now.

My Team:

Samurott

Victini

Reshiram

Zebstrika

Durant

Maybe Gigalith or Sigilyph (unintentional rhyme there…). In a pinch I guess I can evolve my Krokorok… meh. I might just have these 5 and one extra random one.

Anyway, that does it for the Pokemon reviews so far.

The end? :)

No comments: