Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, review 5.


Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Loved them, especially my Pokemon being able to walk around with me. Abra floats in the air!!! EEEE!!! ^_^ And I am now calm. Sorry about that. Loved the Pokewalker.

I got this game after I had bought Diamond a couple years ago. My friend gave me her SoulSilver. I was less pleased than you might think because (again, purely aesthetics) I wanted HeartGold for Houou. But then later I discovered you get Lugia and Houou in both games anyway. So I was pleased to get given(!) a game for free, and played it.

Eventually I clocked it. That was actually my record, to finish it in six months, I think it was. But I am about to break that record with Black, I hope. I have had Black for about a month and I half finished it within two weeks but I’ve been mucking around since then, and didn’t beat the champ yet. Must do that soon… yeah, sure. I always do this. No, I do want to try. But then it will be overrr! Whine!!! This is why I didn’t finish FFVIII yet. Don’t want it to be over.

I can’t believe I actually clocked this game. So happy. I hardly ever get to clock a game!

I loved the Apricorn blender, and picking Apricorns for Kurt again.

Here is a review by someone else.

http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/107/1077337p1.html

I HATED the Pokeathlon.

One gamer on some forum said, ‘Who doesn’t love mini-games?’

ME. I usually hate mini-games. I do not know why, probably because I can never get a good score. I just suck at most mini-games.

Although if there is no time limit I do ok… but no, even then I would probably suck.

I find such things highly stressful. I keep screaming ‘This is meant for CHILDREN! Why is it so hard? Why can’t I get it right???’ etc. No fun or joy in these games for me.

The Pokegear was not quite what I was hoping for, but still very good, once I got used to it. Every new game they change the menu. I liked the Pokegear’s little extras like that radio station that played older music on Sundays. I was hoping it would bring back the Match Call but it didn’t. That’s ok. It had a similar feature where people who gave you their number would call you on the Pokegear and then you could sometimes rebottle them. And it showed up as ! on your map, which was so useful.

Gameplay/Strategy: Liked it a lot, because it was familiar but the graphics made it seem new. I also loved how once you beat the first half of the game, you could go back to the original region and fight the original gym leaders from R/B! Brock is as cute as ever! Lt. Surge seems unchanged, as do most of the others, except Koga’s daughter Janine took over from him, and MISTY! They ruined her, totally ruined her. The HAIR! What were they thinking? It makes me want to cry. She was such a hot little thing back in the day. Whoever changed her look should be punished. I liked the game very much, to sum it up.

Sound: Very good by now. Good stuff. Not much to say after that.

Music: Good, remastered and remixed versions of the old stuff. One thing: Thank you for GB Sounds that you get from the Game Freak guy! Loved that I could go back to the older stuff! Didn’t work everywhere, and it probably wasn’t the exact same soundsbut it was close enough to bring the memories back. I really enjoyed the music in this game.

Graphics: Good, as always. High standards set by now. Nothing to complain about.

Fave Pokemon: Looks: Actually, Ninetales in this one. The rest? Probably the same as for my original Silver review. Battling: I enjoyed using my Dragonite the most, I think. In the original Silver I don’t know if I used it much, just wanted it because Dragonair is so graceful. But this time around, it was integral to my team.

Pokemon I didn’t like much (or at all): Hmm I guessthe same as in my original G/S/C review. Steel and Dark types, which first came into this game. I especially disliked Murkrow.

Fave In-Game Trade/s: The Beldum and the Xatu but probably my fave trades of all time were Brock’s Rhyhorn and Surge’s Pikachu. !!!! Soooo cool.

My Team:

Meganium

Dragonite

Ninetales

Ampharos

Haunter

And one other, once it was Likitung, another time it was a diff Pokemon, I beat the Elite Four a couple times, just ‘cause I was so pleased to be able to do it.

I think I spent the most time playing this game than all the others, so far. Except Diamond, but I don’t count it because most of that time was spend digging and making poffins rather than running around doing stuff and battling. And yes, I really liked the Pokewalker feature, I used it every day for months, because I walk a lot. I was so happy with it, and to catch new Pokemon, and unlock new areas and items!

My overall rating: ***** out of 5 stars, because it was amazing and fun and not too hard but not too easy, with lots of extras, it was for me what FireRed didn’t turn out to be (otherwise I think I’d remember it better). Loved it. A classic classic!

Thanks, IGN. You're great for pics, yo.

No comments: