Monday, August 09, 2010

Misericordia

I just had to post this because it is so much in my field/s of interest.
A misericordia (latin) was a thin dagger used in the Middle Ages by knights (and presumably others) to deal a death or 'mercy' blow to fallen opponents. Misericordia means 'mercy'. The word is used to means other things besides this but I was interested in this meaning alone. All I see here is the word 'misery', not 'mercy' at all. However I am pleased with the idea of a mercy weapon.
I read of this dagger in my book on King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
So interesting! I would want one myself, if I were a knight. It would also be useful when out foraging for food in times of war or when hunting. Anyway, that is all.
Must insert cute picture...

Caption: 'I don't need misericordia!'
Haha double meaning... Anyway I'm very sorry for that lame caption. Please forgive me. I prefer to apologise rather than simply refrain from lameness, which would no doubt save trouble in the long run. But could I live with myself? Perhaps not.

2 comments:

Tensai said...

Never apologise for who you are! Besides being stunningly good looking, you are also highly intelligent and kind-hearted. All in all, I think if I weren't you, I'd want to marry you.

Tensai said...

Oh, you! XD