Monday, August 23, 2010

Alice Manga



I just read Heart no Kuni de Ochakai (aka: Tea Party in the Kingdom of Hearts). It is a cute one-shot set in Wonderland (as a surprising amount of manga can be!) So Alice themes abound.
I have found other manga with an Alice theme in the past, including a somewhat dark one called 'Are You Alice?' I think. I didn't finish it.
There is one popular manga called 'Alice 19th'. It is still ongoing, I think. I like the art but it is also quite heavy going. Might not read much because I dislike the themes which are too strong for Alice, in my opinion. Artistic license is all very well, but often people go too far.

The Alice manga usually have: Alice (not always a girl), the Queen of Hearts (not always a woman), the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire cat (all usually cute boys or girls who like Alice). They often include other characters but hardly ever stay true to the real stories. I think CLAMP did an Alice manga called 'Miyuki-chan in Wonderland' but as far as I recall the review, it is quite yuri... Ouran High manga has an Alice story in it which was cute but confusing.
I think there are other manga out there who have had an Alice theme or story included in their main series.
'Alice in Wonderland' and the sequel, 'Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There', are two of my favourite stories. I have two copies and one is illustrated by Tove Jansson. I also have some Tove Jansson books. I am amazed that few people have heard of her, btw. Look her up sometime. Speaking of Tove Jansson, her character 'Snufkin' is apparently the inspiration for Kubo Tite's Bleach character Kisuke Urahara (aka: 'Getaboushi', the guy who gave Kon to Ichigo and owns that cool shop, and wears that hat over his eyes all the time). Incidentally I liked Urarhara immediately, when I saw him in the first Bleach movie. He is the one Bleach character I instantly liked and wanted to see more of. I do not know why. Another interesting thing, the next time I felt that was when I saw Yoruichi-san, his cousin. So COOOOLLLLL!!!! Ok ok no spoilers. YORUICHI IS NOT JUST A CAT!!!!! She's also - ok ok. Sorry, couldn't help it. Anyway everyone knows all about them by now for sure!

But back to Alice. I liked both Disney's older animated film and their new one directed by Tim Burton. I love the Cheshire Cat, especially in the newer movie... so CUTTTEEE!!!! I have a thing for cats, as you may have guessed.
I want to buy both Alice films. One day I will!
Well, have a good day.

No comments: