Thursday, August 19, 2010

Brains and Technology = Unhealthy if overused.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/technology/16brain.html?_r=1&src=tptw
Quotes:
'...understanding how attention works could help in the treatment of a host of maladies, like attention deficit disorder, schizophrenia and depression. And he says that on a day-to-day basis, too much digital stimulation can “take people who would be functioning O.K. and put them in a range where they’re not psychologically healthy.”'

It's funny, but people don't have to go out at all, they can sometimes work from home, and they can get goods and food delivered to their door. Other people go to and fro from work and home and that's it. They don't have to go anywhere else, they can watch movies online. They can buy anything online. You don't have to leave your property most of the time which scares me. You can talk to your friends online too. Some churches also have sermons online which you can stream, sometimes live.

'The believers are Mr. Strayer and Paul Atchley, 40, a professor at the University of Kansas who studies teenagers’ compulsive use of cellphones. They argue that heavy technology use can inhibit deep thought and cause anxiety, and that getting out into nature can help. They take pains in their own lives to regularly log off.'

'The study indicates that learning centers in the brain become taxed when asked to process information, even during the relatively passive experience of taking in an urban setting. By extension, some scientists believe heavy multitasking fatigues the brain, draining it of the ability to focus.'


I totally agree. It hurts my back and head and my brain feels tired and drawn after spending too much time on the computer or my gaming console. Also when I was studying for my degree, I couldn't sleep well if I worked too hard. I got a lot of A's but also felt really stressed. At one point couldn't think well and got stomach cramps. Once I got so confused and tired I had to actually take like a week off from study. I still went to class but I had to stop studying in my spare time.
I do feel oddly uneasy without my cellphone on me, despite the fact that I didn't get one till I was about 20. I'm only 29 now and yet those 9 years have seen me have my cell with me almost every day. I only text two or three times a day on average which is almost nothing at all. Yet I use my phone's clock and calculator and my calendar. Without my phone and computer, I would feel adrift and apart from others even though I can go through my day with only seeing or actually talking to my 3 flatmates (and even then, it's just 'Hi, how was your day.' and that's about it).

Well, this article was really good. Please read it.

No comments: