Sunday, November 23, 2014

More Pokemon Favorites. This time: NPC Trainers!

My top 3 fave NPC trainers to battle in every generation. Not necessarily the most challenging, just the most unique character designs, really. Or most amusing dialogue.
Just to be clear : Bulbapedia here lists them in two categories: Trainer Classes and Trainers.
I will simply refer to both types as Trainers. I am also only counting them in the official Pokemon rpg games, from original Red and Blue to Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby. Not Smash Bros or Rangers or any of the other offshoots. I'm also combining remakes with originals. It's lazy but it's my blog, so too bad. I will link to the Bulbapedia pages for each so you can have a look in case you don't remember them. Hopefully Bulbapedia won't mind...?

Gen I -
1) Bug Catchers were fun.

2) Burglars were a surprise, but fun too.

3) Youngsters. Just so enthusiastic. Lasses were annoying though.


Gen II -
1) Kimono Girls. I loved battling them on stage with all their Eevolutions. It was just a lot of fun. Many battles are mere grinding, and often an annoyance. But with these ladies it was actually enjoyable.

2) Ok, I'm not really supposed to count Eusine since he is the only Mystical Man class NPC that you battle, but it was more interesting battling him simply because he is rare. You kinda have to feel sorry for him, he spent forever tracking down Suicune and guess who ends up catching it?

3) I enjoyed fighting the Teachers. It was fun to fight Schoolkids and then their Teachers too.


Gen III -
1) Seniors and Juniors. Senpai and Kouhai, right? They were cute. And Sis and Bro teams too. Haha! I liked the Mysterious Sisters pairs in X and Y as well, even though I know it's too early to include them but hey, I'm cheating. Generally I love it when siblings battle together. It actually feels more fun and kinda warm-hearted, even if they scold each other. I wish my sister played Pokemon so we could battle together as well, but she simply isn't interested in most games. I do remember we used to play Sailor Moon together on the old SNES. That was so much fun for me. I would shoot the monsters and she would walk around, or vice versa. Wow, memory lane.

2) I always enjoyed battling the reporters, called Interviewers? Fun, and repeated battles too. Then they put it on tv about how cool I was. Hehe...

3) Aroma ladies. And Pokefans! Oh man, Gen III has been my fave gen forever. For so many reasons.


Gen IV -
1) Oh the Pokekids! In their little Pokemon suits! So cute. Not like the Pokemaniacs... urgh. I know they were much more prevalent in FireRed and LeafGreen.

2) Waiters and Waitresses. Fun!

3) The Double Team, I always call them Ace Trainers in my head. They were tough battlers, tougher than a lot of others but looked so cool with their green hair. I always liked fighting them. I liked the designs best from Ruby and Sapphire, then Diamond and Pearl.


Gen V -
1) I wouldn't normally include Team (insert name here) grunts, but Plasma were so cool in BnW. I enjoyed battling Plasma because of the music... So I count them in. Also they were fun. The uniform re-design for the sequel was pretty lame, but the uniform in the first games was nice.

2) I loved fighting the Game Freak staff. No link, sorry. But you remember them. Esp the dude who is like, 'I'm Snorlax! I mean...'

3) Clerks. And Bakers... ok fine, I enjoyed most NPCs in BnW. Gen III and Gen V are my ultimate faves out of all of them, so it's only natural that I have a lot of favourites in both. Doctors and Nurses were cool because they healed you after battle.


Gen VI -
1) In Kalos there were a LOT of redesigns of previous gen trainers that I liked, particularly the Veterans. I always liked fighting them, but in Kalos they look more sophisticated.

2) Socialites, aka Madames. And the male counterparts, Gentleman aka Monsieurs. I have liked them since they were first brought in, in Gen I, wasn't it? On board the SS.Anne? But I didn't have room to mention them 'til now. Anyway, they look cooler in Kalos. They aren't the same, btw. They need separate links. But I like them all and they are remarkably similar so I cheated and put both types in.

3) Ok, ok, I admit I only like battling Furisode Girls for both the design and also in the Battle Chateau they use Audino which obviously give HEAPS of exp. But they are still my faves for DESIGN. So many varieties of furisode... so pretty... even their lips and nails are coloured too (I like details). I just realised, they must be the modern versions of Kimono girls. Well there we go another example of how I'm a Japanophile.
Honorable mention: The hot Backpacker dudes from Kalos. Now in Omega Ruby. Reow! Just saying.

Btw the Ace Trainer male from BnW looks a bit like a male Team Galactic grunt. Just saying. Maybe someone wanted to re-use the design and thought if they changed it a bit, nobody would notice. Even his clothes have a similar style but a different colour.


One more thing! I like very much how in Omega Ruby, everyone uses Japanese teapots and teacups... and the houses are def Japanese-influenced design on the inside. It's a nice change from Kalos. Which was nice! Of course. But anyway it's a nice change.

Next time: I wanna do my fave Gym Leaders. And fave of all the Elite Four. Of which there are considerably more than 4 now. Like... 24, right? I better count my fave Champion too, I guess.

No comments: