Saturday, November 01, 2014

Church - why it's not always well attended. Haha, diplomatic understatement title.

The main reason that people don't go to church as much as they used to is because it's no longer the social norm to have to go to church every Sunday. Just saying. A lot of people who went to church back in the day were only going because if they didn't, society would judge them. It was just what you did. You went to church. So now that it's no longer 'the thing to do', you could say that people who do go are more likely to be genuinely interested in God. Not 100% likely, but more likely (there's always weirdoes who target churches to try and suck the life out of people).

So everyone needs to stop going on about what's wrong with church. It's not church. It's just that things changed in Western society. That's it.
So it's not: 
1 Men hate church cause it's all girly.
2 Women are needy and treat their pastor like an oracle/psychiatrist/whatever.
3 Church is too worldly and focussed on performance rather than deep teaching.

All that stuff has some truth in it, IN SOME CASES, not all.
But the main reason is what I said above.

Think about it.

Stop freaking out for goodness sake.

Get over it.
Get on with your LIFE!

Good grief. Writing books and books, screeds and screeds of nonsense about how to 'fix' things, make your church 'grow exponentially' etc etc.
It's not numbers that matter. Idiots.
It's quality not quantity.
I automatically distrust (or is it mistrust?) some shiny evangelist in a suit with perfect hair who is just running over with charisma and has a massive church someplace. They all shout out words and commands like, 'Pray with me!' or whatever new catchphrase they try to use to be different from all the others. I will NOT follow your orders, shiny person. You tell me to get on my knees, you tell me to lift my hands in their air, forget it.
If God tells me to, then ok. But not you, suit.
Those shiny people turn faith into a business. IT'S NOT.
They try to play their audience, sorry, congregation (congregation just means crowd, doesn't it?) like an instrument.
Make them feel happy, make them feel repentant. Make them worship. Create the mood.

I didn't intend to start a rant about it but whatever, why not.
Save me some time.

Pastors should not be paid to be a pastor. Nobody should be paid to lead others in their faith. 
The apostles weren't. They were normal men with JOBS who sometimes travelled and preached.
They would probably be amazed (note I did NOT say 'horrified') to find out what kind of a racket is going on today.

You should not be making money out of religion. I don't care what religion it is.
Money is a worldly thing that we use to survive. And maybe a bit more than that.
The point is, the idea of people who make a living out of preaching creeps me out.
And that's pretty much all I have to say about that. 

It's my opinion.
I didn't do any research to back up my opinion with quotes from theologians or apostles.
That would be taking things to a whole new, messed-up level.
Opinions should not be polished and backed up with quotes to seem like some kind of new theological concept.
There's a word for people who do that. I'm not one of those people.
Hopefully nobody will give a damn about my opinion.
Then I don't have to put up with some bunch of trolls who want to try and pick a fight.
I'll issue this reply now, trolls. 'Save it.'

No comments: