Saturday, April 11, 2015

Magic Knight Rayearth on Kindle Paperwhite yay!

I had forgotten how charming CLAMP's earlier work is. Or was?
No, it has lost none of that refreshing charm.
Although Hikaru is permanently etched into my memory forever as the symbol of MKR (and rightfully so, *spoiler alert* oh...too late, sorry!), I still love Fuu's character the most.
She is so amusing and sensible, logical to the point of ridiculous. I know it's a bit obvious for a person with glasses like myself to like the megane character the most, I still can't shrug it off.
I used to dislike Umi but now I like them all as they are all excellent contrasts to each other. They were all very well designed.

Anyway, speaking of megane characters, I also love Kyoya from Ouran High School Host Club.
My fave volume so far is vol 7. The Kyoya story and getting to meet Mori and Hunny's brothers was delightful. I also like Kasanoda.
Seeing Haruhi able to relate to him easily was a nice break from the Host Club boys and their usual cloying over-attention and madcap antics. I read the whole series a while ago. I loved it, and to be able to buy it on the Kindle is also great for me.

I was disappointed in the lack of manga available on Kindle though. Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball and DBZ are there, a bit of Fairy Tail. One Piece is there too.
But not a lot of the slice of life manga I tend to favour lately ( Yotsuba&, Azumanga Daioh, Sketchbook, Strawberry Marshmallow, not a bit of any of 'em. No Lucky Star either).
No Ranma or Sailor Moon or Slam Dunk either. Aah My Goddess is there though, thank goodness. Wonderful series.

Oh, no Pokemon manga either! Again, surprised and disappointed.
As well as that, some books by authors I love are not available but others are.
So I can't have a complete Gerald Durrell or Laura Childs collection. If they are going to put an author's books on Kindle, they should put them ALL. Not just a few.

Oh, Honey and Clover is another manga series I want which isn't available. They do have some of CLAMP's work, so I am going to get whatever I can and try to be grateful.
I guess I just feel annoyed that I can read and even download scanlation manga for free, and everything I could want is there. But because I want to purchase legally, I miss out on a lot that isn't on Kindle yet.

I don't know if they will ever release Sketchbook, for example. It's kind of an obscure title I found (although calling it obscure without any real consensus about it's worldwide status is thoughtless I suppose. I meant obscure in comparison to mainstream popular shonen and shoujo manga, I guess). I liked it a lot, it was funny as heck in a mild way. The author's pen name is Totan Kobako. Actually, the manga has an entry on Wikipedia. You can read it at Mangafox. I recommend it to people who like slice of life, amusing stuff with slow plot and quirky characters.

1 comment:

Tensai said...

Oops just remembered that Vol 8 is the one where they introduce Kasanoda, not vol 7. My bad.