Thursday, March 03, 2011

The end of xxxHolic? Spoiler alert.

At last I think I have read the ending of xxxHolic.
I really enjoyed it a lot, as a whole. The ending was a bit too subtle for me to understand at first. I didn't even realise that the guy Watanuki was talking to was Doumeki's grandson. Or great-grandson... hard to keep up. I always found Doumeki and his relatives to look too much alike for me to realise who was whom.
If this is the end, it's fine. Some things don't have a dramatic conclusion, they just sort of fade out. That's more like reality. So if this is the end, then I am not going to bash CLAMP like so many fans have. They complain that CLAMP start out enthusiastic and then get 'half-assed'.
Well, if so, that's ok. CLAMP teach me a lot about Japanese culture, even if they tweak it to suit themselves, I can follow their themes and do my own research, mostly to do with old legends and youkai. Japanese culture was so rich.
Too bad modern Japan is forgetting its roots. I don't even know about my own roots, they are so far back and have been so thinned out by my mixed blood. I must look into my own past culture as well, as much as I can.
Anyway CLAMP, I have always loved MKR the most... Thank you all. I also love xxxHolic, and CCS. Didn't follow Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles tho. Probably should have, but maybe I will read it now that I have finished xxxHolic.
Fans were saying, why did Watanuki become this lonely hermit etc, but in fact he didn't. He was still talking to Doumeki, and no doubt Mokona and the twins were around somewhere. He still helped customers. And he was slowly realising he had to let Yuuko go. He wasn't ready yet but perhaps someday he would be. They would most likely meet again sometime, just perhaps not until he died. At least, I think he was slowly realising it. At first I also though that he would see her again, that she was in the egg and so on but probably not, from what the dream seemed to be saying.
Well, I really liked this manga. I give it 7 stars.******* Good art, good story, good characters, etc. I liked the pipe-fox spirit best, and the Only down side was the somewhat vague ending but it was still not a bad ending. MKR had a crap ending... the first one did anyway. Sequel was kinda lame but also 'well, that's all alright then' in feel.
I wonder what they will do next.
Probably some damn yaoi or yuri stuff. They seem to run that way.
Have a good day, everyone.

1 comment:

Tensai said...

People are saying that they are going to re-do Sailor Moon anime, like, a new series. But I don't think that is true. It would be nice. But probably won't happen. I can't even get the original Japanese version in my country which sucks because the NA dub was AWFUL!
My sister bought it for me (the NA one) but I can't bear to watch it because it is just so crap.
And it's only up to the end of SM R.
IMHO SM S and SM Stars: Nehelenia Arc (only) are the best. And the SM R and SM S movies were good but the SM SuperS movie was lame. I think the SM S movie is my fave. SM Stars kinda sucked, except the end was ok. And SM R isn't too bad in parts. But overall, it kinda sucked. ChibiUsa is annoying. She is only cute when she is quiet. Like her mother. Only her mother is kinder and sweeter so that makes up for her also being annoying.
Anyway, Tuxedo Kamen is cooler int he manga. All of them are, actually, but their characters are a lot less strongly defined. Perhaps that is better because real people are like that. Not so much a clique or a certain 'type' and always true to form. Well, better go...