Monday, March 07, 2011

Bees! How do they make that honey?

Regarding bees... here is a link. I have always been curious about bees and where most commercial honey comes from. http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm
This goes some way to explaining it.
Thanks, vegetus.org.

Oh and btw... bees make honey by regurgitating nectar.
It doesn't really bother me but some people (in fact most people in charge of marketing honey), would put it like this:
How do bees make honey?
'They transform the floral nectar that they collect by adding enzymes to it and reducing the moisture.' This is a slight paraphrase, btw.

I got this from a certain website... as I had hoped they would actually explain how the bees make honey but they did not really explain at all.
Never mind. The point is, it's like when cows chew the cud, as far as I can tell. They swallow and then spit it back up and so on. They refine it with their stomachs. I have consumed plenty of honey in my life and this doesn't bother me.

But if I were vegan... I would probably count this as an animal product since they actually start with nectar and reduce it to honey.
Don't be grossed out, ok? Because milk is kinda weird too , and eggs, if you think about where they come from. So just don't think about it! The end.
:)

No comments: