Saturday, December 07, 2013

Positive Thinking is not good on it's own. Esp not if it's forced.

http://www.upworthy.com/why-the-religion-of-positive-thinking-needs-to-be-burned-at-the-stake-5

So this seems a little anti-American but I don't think it's racist, it's more about what America can be like, but there are other countries which fall into the same trap too. The woman narrating is American too, btw.
I found her ideas toward the end of the clip to be very interesting.

Funnily enough, I have met several Americans from all over and they were all very positive people.

One American guy told me that if I wanted to be liked, I had to be more cheerful.
At first I was a little offended because I'm not that morose, but compared to him, I was quite gloomy or perhaps more reserved.
Then I realised he was applying American values to me.
I'm not American.
So of course my culture is quite different.
I felt sorry for him, because he didn't realise that not everyone has to be super positive and cheerful all the time. He also didn't realise that he was trying to tell me to change myself to please others. Shallow!
I'm real, if I'm sad, I don't hide it.
If I'm happy, I don't hide it.
:) I feel quite happy right now, actually.

Anyway, if they want to be fake, that's their choice.
I'm real. That's me.
Some people in my country try to be happy all the time too, but most people are more neutral.
Over here, being positive gets you false friends but not much else.
What good is that?
Haha!

Well, gtg ttyl :D

No comments: