Sunday, February 01, 2015

Ugly books

I hate ugly writing. So-called prose in which the writer gabbles at you or mumbles words or spits venomously at you. I don't care if those styles are popular devices, or modern or post-modern or neo-post-modern. I don't care if it's considered to be clever. I won't read trashily written stuff like that because it literally makes me sick to my stomach. How people read half the rubbish they read is beyond me. The Americans seem to be the worst. There's a general awfulness  about the junk most American writers from the 20th century churn out. Mass-produced paperbacks printed on cheap paper stock that smells unpleasant with ink that sometimes rubs off if you touch it. That was a clumsy sentence. I'm good at those. Let me cover myself here, I am not attacking American authors. Rex Stout was great. So are many others. There are English writers and New Zealand writers I also can't stand. It's just lately I keep getting disappointed by American books. I hate poorly written, ugly, graceless books that are about horrible people doing horrible things to other people who may or may not also be horrible. There is no need for books like that because real life has enough of that. I want to read something that will lift my spirits. I want to read something that is written well enough that sometimes I may be lost in the writing as much as I am in the actual plot. I want to read about characters that I could actually like. Books are like food for the mind and the spirit. Thats why I want to consume something good. Call me a book gourmand. Some may call me a snob. But that would not be true. Anyone from any genre can fit my needs. Childrens books, biographies, any fiction or non-fiction. If written well, even simple fare is satisfying. The same as food.

No comments: