Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fishy-tasting tea?

Happy 201st post to me!
Anyway, this post is about a problem I have noticed from time to time, but thankfully, not often.
Sometimes when I have a cup of tea,  it smells and/or tastes slightly or strongly fishy and stale.

I always forget about looking it up.
So I finally looked it up.
I found a couple of great websites to explain why it could be.
Basically they said (and they were all forums so no official tea expert's verdict given), that it would be due to improper storage or perhaps even the tea was improperly processed in the first place.
I believe hard water or stale water was also suggested.

I have had an experience with fishiness both with green and black teas, and milk makes no difference.
So if it's fishy, try tossing the liquor and re-steeping the bag/leaves.
If that doesn't work, it's a bad bag or bad leaves. Sorry!
Be sure to tell the company you got the tea from.
They shouldn't be allowing that to happen.
There is one other thing mentioned, that age is good for tea, so if the tea is left for months or years, it may improve in flavour.
However I don't know if that applies to tea bags, or leaves only.
I also thought that if you don't keep your tea in a cool dry place, it will possibly get damp and maybe that could cause fishiness?
Just a little ponder that I was pondering.

Pu-erh tea is also often said to be fishy. I have experienced it myself too.
In answer to that problem, the verdict seemed to be that if it is a very good quality Pu-erh, it will not taste or smell fishy.
Also remember with Pu-erh, you can usually re-steep it several times if the leaves are good.
Steep them for only about 10-15 seconds each time, then take them out.
If the fishiness is there, rinse the leaves before re-steeping.
That should fix it.
However, I promise nothing and I am not a professional at all.
So, give it a go!
Don't give up on tea, ok?
Here's a link to a great page about Pu-erh.
http://www.teavivre.com/info/pu-erh-tea-weight-loss/

Another Pu-erh link,
http://www.zhizhengtea.com/how-to-identify-good-puer-tea.html

Here's a link to a cute blog post about fishy tea, very interesting.
http://agirlwithtea.com/1318/no-more-fishy-tea-please/

One more blog, this one just about Pu-erh tea alone.
If anyone is a massive fan of Pu-erh, here you are! Ha ha, that rhymed...
http://www.puerhshop.com/blog/?itemid=511


No comments: