Thursday, June 02, 2005

Wow, it's been like, 2 whole months!

I read in the paper today that a paedophile had just finished his jail term and was settling down in a town called Blackball (good grief what a name) with his wife. Certain ‘public spirited citizens’ found out who he was and allegedly chased him out. They demonstrated in front of his house until he was forced to leave. That makes me sick. Who do these people think they are?
I can’t stand the fact that people set themselves up to do something nasty and vicious and then justify it by saying, ‘Well, he doesn’t belong here.’ Or ‘I don’t want someone like that living near me.’ How dare they? I bet they feel smug and self-satisfied and everyone pats them on the back about it.
But what did they do? They harassed a man who committed a crime, a reprehensible, sickening crime, but he paid for it. By law. He is supposed to be rehabilitated. He did his time, he deserves to live the rest of his life. Give him a break! What if that was YOU? All they did was bully someone when they had a chance. And everyone congratulated them too. Makes me feel ill.
I’ve been a bully. I realised it and tried not to do it again. I still feel shame about it. It is one of the basest forms of human nature. It’s human nature to pick on someone else, so that you don’t have to think about what a low-down person you are. Bullies pick on others because then they feel better about themselves, yes? Everyone spouts that stuff all the time. I’ve been a bully and I’ve been bullied. It’s just a vicious form of social hierarchy. You assert yourself aggressively and try to justify it any way you can, so that you are ‘in the right’. But really, you aren’t. There is nothing that can justify treating someone who is in every way your equal, as lower than you. That is very cruel. And everyone on this earth is your equal. Sorry, all you people out there who think of yourselves as ‘good’ or better than others. You aren’t.
The justice system is often unfair because if you have enough money or connections, you can get out of doing your full deserved term. However, the justice system is what we are supposed to go by, to obey and believe in. It’s not perfect, not by far, but it is all we have.
Those people judged him. They decided that the law wasn’t good enough, basically. They stuck their noses in and interfered. I don’t have every fact of this scenario at hand but really! How long is he going to have to pay for this? What if he is cured or rehabilitated?
How can you judge others if you are not perfect? I mean it!
You, the person reading this, you have some ‘secrets’. Oh yes you do. You’ve done or said some things you hope nobody ever knows about. You’ve got some skeletons in your closet, no matter how small or big you think of them as. To God, you are the same as this paedophile. So am I. So is the Pope, Ben Affleck, Condoleeza Rice, (did I spell her name right? I hope so…) anyone else on this earth.
I know it’s easy for me to sit here, unaffected by this paedophile’s crimes. I don’t know him, or a victim, I don’t live near his town. If he was my neighbour, I would feel weird. I would worry if I had children. But – I would also take steps. I would make sure I knew where my kids were, I’d make sure I had people to support me, I’d probably even try to meet the man’s wife and sound them out a little to see what they were like. He’s not invincible and he can’t be everywhere. The police know where he is, for goodness sake.
He’s not going to creep into my house and ‘get’ my kids. He’s just one man!
People are people. Why would he commit another crime and get hauled off to jail again? I believe he is 65 years old, as far as I can remember. He’s not exactly got much time left. If he went back to jail he probably wouldn’t see the light of the outside again in his lifetime.
The paper states with seeming carelessness that the man moved to Christchurch. Thank you, press. Could we have his forwarding address please? You might as well! I just love the way the press ruin lives on a daily basis. They’re also bullies of a sort. Basically, this guy will probably be hounded again by more ‘public spirited citizens’.
I do NOT condone this person’s crimes, ok? I am not namby-pamby. I would not like to be near this guy, I mean, paedophiles are sick creepy people.
However they are still human. God loves them the same amount that he loves you. So suck on that! You’re no better!
You have no right to think that you are.
So, now that I’ve given you some sunny thoughts for the day, see you!

God bless you all!
:)

No comments: