Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Japanese abbreviations of English words

Interesting. Although maybe that's only because as an ALT (Assistant language teacher), sometimes I end up sitting in the teacher's room with nothing to do but look around... Anyway despite the firey and passionate debate the sentence above could stir, I shall sidestep the issue of how much initiative can be taken by native-speaking English teachers working in Japan and say : Abbreviations. They are great little puzzles. For example it took me a sec to figure this one. バレ-
But it's short for volleyball. バレーボール。After that, all the other katakana on the board was immediately simple to understand. バスケ was basketball, and so on. It just got me thinking of how different the English abbreviations would be. For basketball, I would probably write BBall or B ball. For volleyball, I would write VBall. And so on. Anyway I'm just waiting for my next class. I don't make lesson plans because I get told what to do at all my schools (during class, sometimes with like 1 minute to go before starting or even during class). And frankly, if I did have to do my own lessons, I would use the books and workbooks and just play a couple of games to warm up. Bingo, pictionary, a spelling game, charades or an interview game using pairs of students. Similar to what my teachers already do. Ok better go, gotta look busy. Ttyl have a good day.

No comments: