Friday, July 05, 2013

Progress is painful


Octavio Paz (Mexican Poet and Essayist)
'Progress has peopled history with the marvels and monsters of technology, but has depopulated the life of man. It has given us more things but not more being.'
(The Other Mexico: Critique of the Pyramid, 1972)

WHERE IS MY SOUL?????

It hurts, wherever it is.
It's a hole in me.
It hurts the way a phantom limb would hurt, or nerve damage, or a gaping gap in your gum where a tooth had been.

I feel so stretched out and tense all the time, but not in the body. In the mind? In the spirit?
I love my computer and my consoles and my phone but sometimes I just leave them all off and stare at the wall so I don't have to feel like they are killing me anymore.

Too clear, too bright, too machin-ised...
Machines machines machines
No more machines.

That guy who wanted to live forever with his character uploaded into a cyborg body, what a nutter!
Who wants to live forever in this world?
NOT ME!
Not like this, anyway.


I better stop playing my console for more than two hours straight until it feels like my brain is sore and my eyes have dried out.

This is what happens if you play too many games, kids!
You rant on the internet about machines and souls etc!

And you then quit and go and have dinner and a drink for goodness sake.
There!

No comments: