Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Japanese lessons with Tensai-sensei!

Konnichi wa.
Today you will receive a lesson in Japanese from me.

Most of my lesson materials come from About.com's Japanese language section, resided over by the very personable and efficient Abe Namiko san. (Or Namiko Abe if you are western)
Here is the URL: http://japanese.about.com/

Today's lesson is; Shopping!

Firstly, I shall teach you some common words.

Sweater: Setaa
Money: Okane
Pants/Trousers: Zubon
Womens underwear: Zurosu
Shoes: Kutsu
Socks: Kutsu-shita
Bra: Buraja
Bag: Kaban or Baagu
Dress: Doresu or Wanpiisu
Clothes: Fuku
Western clothes: Yofuku
Japanese clothes: Wafuku
Shirt: Shaatsu
Blouse: Burausu
T shirt: Tii-shaatsu
Lipstick: Kuchi-beni
Mascara: Masukara
Wallet: Saifu
Glasses: Megane
Sunglasses: Sangurasu
Business suit: Sebiro
Men's underwear: Shita-baki or Zubon-shita
Make-up: Kesho-hin
Perfume: Kosui

Now, onto the lesson!

When you go into a Japanese shop or restaurant, a person will probably say (or in many cases call or shout) 'Irasshaimase!'
Do not say 'Arigatou' (Thank you) or anything in reply, or you look like a dork, as I have before.
They are supposed to say that to you, it's like when you say 'Have a nice day' to someone. It means 'Welcome!'.
However, you should not use it to say it to anyone. Unless you also work in the shop or restaurant. It's purely a polite word, to be ignored. However people have yelled it at me so loudly or suddenly that I have jumped and once I actually gave a sort of scream. So BE AWARE! Be prepared for the 'Irasshaimase!'

Here are a few common phrases in shopping.

First what the assistants or ten'in might ask you.

'Nanika osagashi desu ka?'
May I help you?

'Ikaga desu ka.'
How do you like it?

'Kashikomarimashita.'
Certainly.

'Omatase itashimashita.'
Sorry to have kept you waiting.

Then some quick phrases for you to use.

'Kore wa ikura desu ka?'
How much is this?

'Mite mo ii desu ka?'
Can I look at it?

'~ wa doko ni arimasu ka?'
Where is ~?

'~ (ga) arimasu ka?'
Do you have ~?

'~ o misete kudasai.'
Please show me ~.

'Kore ni shimasu.'
I'll take it.

'Miteiru dake desu.'
I'm just looking.

Thats all for now. For more, go to the above URL at About.com. Great place, that. I love it!
Please don't sue me for using your stuff, guys! I referred everyone back to where I got it!

God bless you.
:)

No comments: